A bird-lovers delight!
Both vegan-friendly and unscented, these candles are a beautiful addition to any home.
A unique and beautiful pattern
Each candle in our collection has been expertly crafted by professional candle-makers in the mountain kingdom of Eswatini, so you can be sure of exceptional quality. As they’re handmade, no two candles will be exactly the same.
The artisans shape these candles using the ancient ‘millefiori’ technique, which was perfected in Italy to create the finest glass sculptures. This technique was then translated into use with wax.
As all candles are handmade, please expect some differences in sizing and patterns.
About Swazi Candles – Proud founding members of SWIFT (Swaziland Fair Trade Association)
Swazi Candles was started in an old cowshed of a former dairy in 1982 by two South African art graduates. The little workshop soon gained a great reputation for producing unique candles and started attracting many visitors.
The vibrancy of the workshop, uniqueness of the products and the skill of the artisans resulted in Swazi Candles becoming one of Eswatini’s premier tourist attractions. Today, its unique candles are being treasured by ethical consumers world-wide.
How your purchase can make a difference
Eswatini (formerly known as Swaziland) is one of the poorest countries in the world. Over 40% of its population live on less than US$ 1.25 per day. Because of unfavourable climate conditions and low agricultural productivity, poverty is widespread.
Fairtrade benefits to artisans
Swazi Candles are one of the founding members of SWIFT (Swaziland Fair Trade Association). Its workers are part of the decision-making process in the company, which is committed to sharing profits and paying a living wage. By buying our candles, you play an important part in supporting this fairtrade movement.
How the bird candles are made
The wax is coloured by mixing pigments with hot wax, which is then poured into flat sheets.
Sheets are marked, cut and then carefully layered according to the chosen design.
The resulting slabs are compressed, extruded and re-extruded and then sliced into thin veneers.
These veneers are then taken by the candle makers and skilfully stretched over a core of pure white wax and hand made into the desired shapes.
To get the best out of your Bird Candles, please read the directions before use
– Keep the wick trimmed to 1/4 inch (0.6 cm).
– Remove all packaging before use and place your lovely candle in a suitable container capable of containing any wax spillage.
– Although the candle is generally self-contained, we advise using a heat resistant coaster or similar.
– Burn your candle away from drafts and for no more than a couple of hours at a time (this prevents the hard outer wax from melting).
– Extinguish your candle with a snuffer or the back of a metal spoon. Take care not to damage the wick.
– Pour off any molten wax, if necessary, to enhance the flame.
– Lean back, relax and enjoy! 😊