Fair trade Giraffe candles that have been handmade by expert candle-makers in the mountain Kingdom of Swaziland. Ethical and beautiful – each one lets of an amazing glow when they are lit as they glow through the patterns.
Mini Cube: Approx. 5.5cm x 5.5cm – Burn time approximately 12 hours.
Mini pillar: Approx. 5.5 x 6cm – Burn time approximately 12 hours.
9cm Pillar Approx. 9cm x 9cm – Burn time approximately 45 hours. (These sizes are re-useable due to the hard outer wax maintaining it’s shape – therefore you could add a tea light and keep using the candle forever!)
The artisans create the candles using the ancient technique of ‘millifiore’, which was a skill perfected in Italy to create the finest glass sculptures and has been translated into use with wax.
The candles are beautiful, useful and ethical and are made using high grade paraffin that is long lasting.
About Swazi Candles:
Swazi Candles was started in an old cowshed of a former dairy in 1982 by 2 South African art graduates. The little workshop soon gained a reputation for producing unique candles and started attracting visitors. The vibrancy of the workshop, uniqueness of the product and the skill of the artisans resulted in Swazi Candles becoming one of Swaziland’s premier tourist attractions.
They are also one of the founding members of SWIFT (Swaziland Fair Trade Association).
The wax is colored by mixing pigments with hot wax which is then poured into flat sheets. Sheets are marked and cut and carefully layered according to the design. The resulting slabs are compressed, extruded and re-extruded and then sliced into thin veneers. These veneers are then taken by the candle makers and skillfully stretched over a core of pure white wax and hand made into the desired shapes. See my listings for other amazing candles!
To get the best out of your candle please read the directions before use.
– Keep wick trimmed to 1/4 inch.
– Remove all packaging before use and place candle in a suitable container capable of containing any wax spillage. Although the candle is generally self contained a heat resistant coaster or similar is advised.
– Burn candle away from drafts and for no more than a couple of hours at a time (this prevents the hard outer wax from melting)
– Extinguish candle with snuffer or back of metal spoon taking care not to damage wick.
– Pour off molten wax if necessary to enhance flame.